Recent Posts

Monday, August 23, 2010

Growing Up in a Immigrant, Big Hearted Family

This morning I reflect on my childhood and how it affects my outlook on life and feeling towards those in need. 

By the way, happy birthday Mom - I love you

My parents immigrated to the United States, immediately following the Vietnam War in the 70's.  Their young marriage was going through a massive challenge that no one could have anticipated..... the war separated them from 1975-1979: 4 years on different continents, post-war environment (family members becoming prisoners of war, communism taking away family business and property), and a young child (my older sister) in the middle of this.  Neither of them wanted to be separated, but war circumstances dictate above wants.  In 1980 they were finally reunited and I was born (can't imagine the stress of an unexpected baby on top of not seeing each other in four years).

But they fought for their family, home, and their new life in America.  My father became a refugee social worker and during my childhood we also fostered refugee children... alot of fun in my house from a kid's point of view!!  I watched my parents selflessly raise many children like their own, be there at the toughest points in their lifes, and make a difference.  We were certainly not a rich family, we had middle class struggles and my mother often worked two jobs to add supplemental income.  I believe that it was my parents' love of children and conviction in representing a stable home for kids to look up to which kept them together during the tough times.

I saw them go through immigrant challenges while growing up: they spoke/wrote broken English, had a tough time tutoring me on my studies because the curriculum was in a non-native language (luckily I was quite nerdy, enjoyed self study, reading by myself), cultural differences in raising your children eastern vs. western culture style.

Until I moved to a foreign country in my adulthood could I appreciate what its like to be "a fish out of the water" as a foreigner.  And still, I had the advantage of full corporate support, a top education, and resources.  My challenges as a foreigner were minute like what my parents experienced, yet was enough to teach me to appreciate the depth of their character.


"Hardship builds Character."

My inspiration to succeed is based on this story.  I work hard to honor my parents and allow them to live their dreams vicariously through me as I am a product of their life's efforts.  They missed opportunities in life because of the war, communism, having a family to raise, and providing stability to kids who needed role models to look up to.

Surround yourself with those you admire for their character, intellect, selflessness, and drive.

Stories like this are the foundation of America's Declaration of Independence and can be summed up from the direct quote -

That all men are by nature equally free and independent, and have certain inherent rights, of which, when they enter into a state of society, they cannot, by any compact, deprive or divest their posterity; namely, the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written.
DFG

Jamin Thompson said...

Great post Nat. Sometimes we forget how easy we have it until we reflect back to the struggle the peeps that got us to where we are today had to face. Your parents are true heroes.

- N - M - PHOTOGRAPHY's Fan Box